Masterpiece Fitness strongly recommends water as a place for rehabilitation therapy, group session personal training, and individual personal training as well. People of all ages can benefit from the healing properties of water as well as the many advantages to exercising in water. It is enjoyable and easy to do.
Here are some basic advantages to water: You do not have to be a swimmer to participate or even get your face and hair wet. The water provides a natural massage and muscular tension release. In the water you may unload the impact on joints from 50% to 100%. Impact injuries are less likely as the buoyancy naturally protects the joints. The resistance of the water provides improved balance, and strengthens and tones musculature. Movements are naturally balanced in the water as a result of muscles that are tight on land being stretched with buoyancy in the water, while muscles that are weak are naturally strengthened with water resistance. Because the core muscles are engaged during the entire session there is no better way to strengthen abdominals and improve posture.
Teresa has had great success with students from water classes and personal training. Participants have been pleased with overall results for the whole body, but particularly the core area. The lower back, obliques, and abdominal muscles quickly tone up and strengthen from being engaged for extended periods throughout entire sessions. The nice things is you don’t realize how hard the muscles are working during the session as you are focusing on other areas. The arms and upper body gets immediate results as well as they are being used at all times.
Many of Teresa’s clients have been folks who are obese to extremely obese. As listed above you can see the advantages for these folks in the water. Their body is hidden. Because they have the constant support of the water they have a better range of motion without the fear of pain. Teresa is able to bring them to higher levels of fitness safely that would not be possible on land. Keeping their body temperature down is not as much a challenge as on land.
Teresa has taken some advanced athletes and given them sports conditioning that could not have been achieved on land. The water can accommodate the best of athletes or the most limited individuals such as clients confined to wheelchairs. In the water they can come out of their wheelchairs with doctor’s approval.
Water Rehabilitation Therapy
Studies have shown that muscle spasms and pain are much reduced when water temperature is in the 90-95 degree range. The relaxation response of the muscles and reduction in pain allow for greater joint mobility and range of motion which in turn enhances the body’s ability to heal more quickly.
If you have ever entered a health club pool, which is typically 78 to 82 degrees, you notice an immediate chill and tightening up of your muscles. This is not therapeutic. While this temperature is fine for heavy exercise and swimming, it is not optimal at all for painful conditions.
Masterpiece Fitness contracts out with Carroll Wellness Center in Hillsville for the use of their therapy pool. We are very fortunate to have this facility in our area. It affords the clients of Masterpiece Fitness every advantage for water rehabilitation and personal training for people with limitations.
What is the Benefit of Water?
- Buoyancy or “weightlessness” of the water enables a person with an injury to move in ways not possible on land
- Weight relief is considerable. Water waist deep takes off 50% of your weight, chest deep takes off 70% of your weight, neck deep takes off 80% of your weight. When your feet are off the ground, 100% of your body weight has been relieved from your achy joints!
- Swelling is reduced in the arms and legs because of the pressure exerted on your body from the water. If your entire leg is immersed the pressure is more than wearing an ace bandage. Patients come out of the water with less swelling, especially in their knees and feet.
- The pressure of the water increases circulation especially to the hands and feet bringing much needed healing blood to the injured areas.
- The feel of the water can help make overly sensitive areas less sensitive and more tolerant to therapy, touch and exercise.
- The water is a safe place to practice improving your walking and balance. You don’t have to worry about falling and getting hurt!
- Water is 6 times more dense than air. This provides for a safe and even resistance on the body for strengthening and posture control.
- It is much less painful exercising in the water than on land. When there is less pain, there is better healing.
- Water can act to desensitize areas of the skin that are overly sensitive giving much needed input to painful area.
Who Can Benefit From Water Therapy?
- Peripheral neuropathy, peripheral nerve injuries and post-surgical peripheral nerve rehabilitation
- Sports injuries requiring rapid rehabilitation
- Foot and ankle injuries or post-surgical and especially those that are not able to put full weight on their leg
- Total joint replacements
- Neck and back injuries and spine surgeries
- Arthritis conditions, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia
- Shoulder, hip and knee injuries and reconstructive surgeries
- “Pain sensitive” patients with persistent conditions that do not tolerate land programs
- Complex regional pain syndrome “CRPS” or RSD
- Joint conditions related to being overweight
- Cardiac patients needing reconditioning
If you are interested in water rehabilitation therapy or personal training in the water please contact Masterpiece Fitness for fees and appointments. Hope to see you in the water!